I, myself, have tried at least 10 of the ones in San Francisco. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I counted and there are only 48 in San Francisco, the rest are spread throughout the rest of the Bay Area. This just goes to show you that I really need to try to get out of the City some time as there is more Good Food to be found out there. For one thing, it's difficult as I do not have a car and secondly, there's just SO much here in the City that the rest of the Bay Area gets pushed down the list. Whatever the case, it's a pretty good dilemma to be in, wouldn't you say?
Some of the ones that I have tried and will mention because they are some of my faves are:
- Yummy Yummy - I used to go there pretty often and even got to know the owner, Wilson quite well. This place is probably my favorite mid-range Vietnamese place, for its friendly service and Great Vietnamese Food. They passed the Raptor Vietnamese Restaurant test because they have rice paper spring rolls versus ones made with the Chinese Egg Roll Wrapper. The Pho is good, but most memorable was that Wilson would break out fotos of new dishes and we always would try at least one of them. Two of my favorite apps were the Grilled Clams and the Beef Carpaccio. Two words. (as corny as it is) Yummy. Yummy.
- Burma Superstar - This place is great! Although it may be tough to get in for dinner at times, you can always put your name on the list, leave your cell# and then head down the street for a drink or a beer. Once you're in, you definitely should try their famed Tea Leaf Salad, different but seriously delicious. My one go-to dish is their Nan Pia Dok (Coconut Chicken Rice Noodle Curry). Seriously good.
- Good Luck Dim Sum - For cheap, out-the-door dim sum on Clement, you really can't beat this place.
I'd say there are about 8 or so that are on Raptor 'Must Try' List. Here are a few:
- Zebulon - I can't believe that I have yet to try this place. Bad Philly-Pina! I am sure I will be there soon. I am all about supporting my fellow Filipino restaurant owners & chefs that are friends as well. i.e. Chef Thomas at Les Amis, recently, Galvin at Deep Sushi.
- Jake's Steaks - Again bad Philly-Pina (emphasis on the Philly this time). Have yet to try this place although, I been called a traitor for loving the Cheesesteak Shop on Divis. Everywhere else that I've tried so far are a bunch of 'posers'. Word.
- Old Jerusalem - Always on the lookout for good Middle Eastern and this place is on my way home from BART, so it's sure to happen some time soon, right?
- Yamo - Hole in the wall Burmese in the Mission? Gonna hafta give that one a try.
So there you have it. The Raptor's favorite Bargain Bites. I am sure that I have a bunch more to add that probably aren't even on the SF Gate List and perhaps, I will try to update this post with them. *sigh* That will hafta come at a later date...
So much Food, so Little Time!