How about some 'Literal' Food for Thought, People?
So the 7x7 magazine editors did an article called, The Big Eat SF: 100 Things To Try Before You Die. A little morbid in its choice of title, but I suppose it is not too far off from the idea of that book called 1000 Places To See Before You Die by Patricia Schultz. This article came out in 7x7 magazine's January '09 issue last month and was brought to my attention by several SFFoodMaven friends & readers. I thought it would be interesting to share with those of you that have lived here for some time and also for any visitors or newcomers to the City...
I myself have tried about 40 out of the 100 and I definitely have my work cut out for me. Probably a good idea in lieu of the life of leisure that I am living at the moment, but also a bad idea after the binge of last month's Dine About Town. Not a problem, I suppose, I just need to get myself to the gym.
I will say that I don't wholly agree with all 100 things, so there may be a few SFFoodMaven side notes for some of them.
Here we go...
1. Roast Chicken and Bread Salad at Zuni. Done. As much as I love Zuni, it's not my all time Fave Roast Chicken.
2. Coffee-Rubbed Pork Shoulder at Range. Done. LOVE it.
3. Carnitas Taco at La Taqueria. Done. Good Stuff.
4. Spicy Crab and Grits at the Front Porch. Been to FP but have not had this. Need to go back...
5. Chasu Ramen at Katana-Ya. Done. Yum.. Goin back for the Kimchee Ramen
6. Burger with Fries at Slow Club. Done. It's pretty good, but not my Fave. I would ask them to go easy on the Mustard because it overpowered the Meat which is important to me...
7. Shaking Beef at the Slanted Door. Done. My Fave. LOVE it..
8. Morning Bun at Tartine Bakery.
9. Tofu Soup with Kimchi at My Tofu House. Done. OMG, SO GOOD!
10. Baja-style Fish Tacos at Nick’s Crispy Tacos
11. Pork Sugo with Pappardelle at Delfina. On List.
12. Salt-and-Pepper Squid at Yuet Lee. Done. Good, but I hear they are not like they used to be.
13. Soup Dumplings at Shanghai House. On List.
14. Beef Brisket at Memphis Minnie’s. Done. Not my Favorite though...
15. Oysters on the Half Shell at Swan Oyster Depot. Done. Like Hog Island better..
16. Katsu Curry from Muracci’s Japanese Curry & Grill
17. Tea-leaf Salad at Burma Superstar. Done. Awesome and different for most. A Must-Try for sure..
18. Salumi Misti Plate at Perbacco. Done. Good Stuff.
19. Tuna Tartare at Michael Mina. Haven't tried it here, but I definitely love Aqua's - the slated Original.
20. Chicken Pot Pie at Liberty Café. Never tried, but sadly, Liberty Cafe is now closed..
21. Pizza Margherita at Pizzeria Delfina. Done. Don't do take out, must eat there or it is not the same...
22. Vietnamese Roasted Pork Sandwich at Saigon Sandwich
23. Beer Sausage with Sauerkraut and Grilled Onions at Rosamunde Sausage Grill
24. Blue Bell Bitter from the Cask at Magnolia Pub
25. Loaf of Bread straight out of the oven at Tartine (bonus: sliced while still warm and slathered with Brillat-Savarin Cheese from Bi-Rite, down the block) On My List...
26. A Classic Gin Martini at Bourbon & Branch
27. Papaya salad with salty crab at Sai Jai Thai
28. A Gibraltar at Blue Bottle Café
29. Spaetzle at Suppenküche. Done.
30. Laughing Buddha Cocktail at Cantina. Right in my 'Hood.. On My List...
31. Pan Con Chocolate with Sea Salt and Olive Oil at Laïola. Done. Chocolate with Sea Salt - My kind of Dessert...
32. Pupusas at Balompie Café #3
33. Prime rib at House of Prime Rib. Done. MEAT! Oh Yeah, Baby!
34. Yellowtail Collar at Oyaji. Love Hamachi Kama. Totally on My List...
35. Salted-Caramel ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery
36. Dry-Fried Chicken Wings at San Tung. Done.
37. Rotisserie Chicken at Limón Rotisserie
38. French Fries at Hayes Street Grill
39. Pierna Enchilada Torta at La Torta Gorda
40. Cheeseburger at Taylor’s Automatic Refresher. Done. Good Stuff.
41. Pho Ga at Turtle Tower. On My List..
42. Fried-Shrimp Po’Boy at Brenda’s French Soul Food
43. Mint Julep at Alembic
44. Cannelé at Boulangerie Bay Bread
45. Galapagos Cocktail at Absinthe
46. Chips and Salsa at Papalote. Done.
47. Ceviche at La Mar Cebichería Peruana. Done. Having been to Peru, I liked Limon's better...
48. Angels on Horseback at Anchor & Hope. On My List... Oysters wrapped in Bacon. 'nuff said.
49. Ginger Snaps at Miette
50. Giant Pretzel with Mustard at The Monk’s Kettle. On List. I just love a good Pretzel and Mustard.
51. Maccaronara with Ricotta Salata at A16
52. Fried Brussels Sprouts at SPQR. Done. Pretty damn good..
53. Garlic Soup at Piperade. Ooooh Yum! SO on My List...
54. Spiced-Chocolate Doughnut at Dynamo Donut with a Four Barrel coffee
55. Milk-Roasted Pork at L’Osteria del Forno
56. Caponatina with Burrata at Beretta. On My List.
57. Goat Stew at Kokkari Estiatorio. On My List.
58. Absinthe Daiquiri at Jardinière. Sounds interesting... and could make for a very interesting night as well...
59. Huarache with Cactus Salad at El Huarache Loco (Saturdays at the Alemany farmers market)
60. The Brass Monkey at Little Star Pizza
61. Crab Soufflé at Café Jacqueline. OMG! Definitely on My List...
62. Shrimp-and-Chive Dumplings at Ton Kiang. Done. Good Stuff, but I love their Shanghai Meat Dumplings way better...
63. Meatballs with Grapes at Aziza. Vaguely recall having this when I ate there once...
64. Paper Masala Dosa at Dosa. Done.
65. Crispy Eggplant at Jai Yun
66. Pig parts at Incanto. On My List.
67. Sand Dabs at Tadich Grill. A San Francisco institution... After 11 years, STILL on List.
68. Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista Cafe. Done. The Golden Nugget at Union Square does a pretty mean one too...
69. Licorice Parfait at South
70. Omakase menu at Sebo. On My List.
71. A Fernet at R Bar
72. Arancini at Ducca
73. Popovers with Strawberry Butter at the Rotunda
74. Corned-Beef Sandwich with Gruyère at the Sentinel. SO on My List...
75. Fried Green Beans at Coco500. On List.
76. Chicken Hash at Ella’s
77. Eggs Benedict on the back patio at Zazie. On List. Sounds Lovely. Current Benedict fave is Curbside Too on California by Fillmore streets.
78. Chilaquiles with a Fried Egg at Pastores
79. Onion Strings at Alfred’s Steakhouse
80. Apple Fritter at Bob’s Donuts
81. Chicken Curry at Punjab Kabab House. Done. Not my Fave though. Like Aslam's better...
82. Fried Chickpeas at Piqueo’s
83. Sweet-Potato Fries with Canana Catsup at Poleng Lounge
84. A Margarita at Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant. Done.
85. Pulled-Pork Sandwich at Roadside BBQ
86. A Cheese Slice at Arinell Pizza. On My List.
87. Fresh Spring Rolls at Out the Door. Done.
88. Buckwheat Crepe and a French Cider at Ti Couz. Done.
89. Lamb Schawerma at Truly Mediterranean. Done. Like Yumma's on Irving better though..
90. Slow-cooked Egg at Coi. Done. Delicious!
91. Albondigas Soup at Mijita
92. Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dog from a cart in the Mission (preferably when you’re drunk). Done many, Many times... Once had 3 in one night.. No joke.
93. Seven Courses of Beef at Pagolac. Done.
94. Mango with Chile, Lemon and Salt at Doña Tere’s cart (At the corner of 21st and Treat Streets, no phone)
95. 3 a.m. Bowl of Caldo Verde Soup at Grubstake
96. Baby-Coconut Ice Cream from Mitchell’s. Done. But of course...
97. Sesame Balls at Yank Sing. Done.
98. Basil Gimlet at Rye. Done.
99. Clam Chowder at Hog Island Oyster Co.
100. Cheese Course at Gary Danko. Done. Who wouldn't love it?
There you have it People...
So, what have You done?
And what would You do different?
You can click here for the 7x7 full article.